Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Why Bees?

OK, so the burning question from many of you has been: Why bees?

A simple question, so I'll do my best to provide a simple answer. (And my sincere apologies for taking so long to get back to this...)

Bees are interesting and cool. In my opinion. Sort-of like Aliens, but with less chest-popping and acid-burning... They both have a queen that lays millions of eggs, and they both live in a hive. And they both have an army of underlings to do their bidding. How cool is that? I loved that movie...

OK, back to the bees. Seriously this time. They are incredibly important to us. Most of our food crops exist because there was a bee that could pollinate a plant, from the simple vegetables grown by the neighbor down the road, to the huge agri-business farms of the Midwest and California. Without bees we would be in trouble. Think about where all your food comes from, the next time you are in the supermarket. Somewhere along the line a bee of some type was involved.

And then there is the nature-geek side of me. (We'll come back to bees in the next post.) David often says I am his National Geographic man. I just find nature and science fascinating. I love to learn and explore anything related to either topic, which I know are vast topics. I'm never bored.

So, that is why bees. They are incredibly important to us for food production, and I think they are interesting.

Next time: Why bees are in trouble and what YOU can do about it!

1 comment:

  1. Cannot wait to see your hives this weekend! I have always wanted to keep bees... perhaps you will inspire me :-)

    ReplyDelete